Sunday, September 22, 2013

Shopping adventures

Our first shopping trip wasn't much different than other shopping trips in other parts of the world. There are shopping carts and cashiers and isles full of food. However, something that may not be so common are tubs of olives, pickles and pickled vegetables of all kinds, and blocks and wheels of cheese. All the cheeses are white and the only one that looked familiar was the feta cheese. Of course we have all these things in the U.S, but not in most regular grocery stores. In Fresno, finding these items requires a trip across town to Whole Foods or to the middle eastern grocery. Humus, garlic butter, pita bread both small and VERY large, are easy to find. 










What might be a little less common, are all the foods I'm used to just grabbing off the shelf at the local Vons or Save Mart. Though, I must say, I am finding soooo many more "normal" things here than I did in Thailand and even Korea. Corn chips, bread, pickles (not the sweet kind!!), olives, and so many vegetables and fruits that are found in the U.S are also popular here! There are even cheerios, if you are willing to pay. These are the little things that make adjusting to the new environment easier.

Last week my friend Rosemary took me around and showed me all the best places to get the foods I might need. Now that was an adventure! I added my two children to her three and we had quite the entourage! All went well, except for when Anastasia found the hand soap I was purchasing and thought it would be fun to pump it all over her hands. But, really that isn't anything new, she would have done that in the States if I'd given her the chance!

Below is a picture of the ethnic foods section. You can find pasta sauce for about $5 for a small can, soy sauce, even refried beans and flour tortillas! I'll be making my own pasta sauce, it's way better than the canned version anyway! Beans can be found at a nearby bulk foods shop so I'll also be making my own refried beans! I may have to splurge on the flour tortillas, even if I have made those before it's not something I particularly enjoy doing.


So, after checking out, the guys that bagged our groceries carried them out to the car for us. My friend tipped her guy and I tipped mine. As soon as they had their money they suddenly jumped on each other and started fighting! Hitting and punching each other so violently! At first I thought it must be a common thing, but apparently not, because everyone stopped to watch and people rushed in to break up the fight. Just one more thing to add to my growing list of new and bizarre experiences.

Here is a picture of where I will be purchasing my fresh fruits and vegetables. It's just down the street from where our new house is so I'll be able to easily get the things I need. Peaches, plums, grapes, bananas, oranges, are all quite common so they are not expensive.    
   

What an adventure it is to explore our new surroundings. Figuring out how to make the foods we are familiar with, but also learning how to use and cook with the local foods. Today I made pasta with sauce, Marcus kept exclaiming how amazingly wonderful it was and how we will need to eat this often since it reminds him of home. Even Anastasia, who hasn't had much of an appetite since coming here due to sickness, wolfed down 2 bowls!    

Slowly but surely we are adjusting to our surroundings and in time will find all of the newness to be normal. 



2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Elizabeth, for sharing. You have a gift for writing.

    Have some falafels for me sometime. ... Speaking of which, I may need to go to the grocery store here and get the dry falafel mix and make some. It's just that I am on the only one in my family that likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is where you made the comment! Thank you. I do enjoy writing. You will have to come here to really get a good taste of felafels! They are the best I've ever had! maybe your family would even enjoy them here. :)

    ReplyDelete